Wednesday, March 29, 2017

My Name


What's in a name.  I read this post by... I can't even remember who, so if it's you, please let me know so I can link it back to you.  I'm so sorry!  Anyway, I thought I'd let you know about my name and what I've been called in the seasons of my life.

I was born Maria Jane.  Each name was from a grandma.  Maria was one of my grandma's names (she had 5 names... she was from Spain) and Jane was my other grandma's middle name. Put them together and you have me! :)  Maria Jane is something I was only called when I was in trouble.
As a child, I was called Maria by my family but my dad called me "Ri" (pronounced like this... ree). He still calls me that today.  I'm not really sure if I can recall a time when he called me by my real name.  Hmmmmm...... probably when I was in trouble.
I was called this and Maria as I grew up on the softball field and volleyball court during grade school.  One of my coaches called me "Rae (said like.. Ray)" in softball.  I can still hear him say it. One of my dad's church friends also called me that and still does to this day.
Once I entered high school I was still called Maria by most of my friends except those who I played volleyball with.  My coach called me "Ri", just like my dad, and my teammates called me "Ria".
In college everyone called me Maria except the girls I coached.  They called me Coach Maria.  I had one friend who called me ria10 because that was my AOL sign in.  I miss hearing him say that... he's been gone almost 3 years now.
In 1999 we were blessed with the first nephew in our family. He's been a joy to watch grow up.  When he was old enough to say my name, he called me "Bia".  I don't know why it came out that way, but it stuck. We were buddies.  I watched him all the time.  We look alike so people always thought he was mine because I had blonde hair and my sister had brown.  And now... he's 17. He still calls me Bia along with all my other nieces and nephews. I adore it and I will cry if he ever stops calling me that.
I'm still called all those names above, but most importantly, I've added momma to that list.

1 comment: