Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Little Help?!?!

Dear Friends,

I need some advice.  We are on spring break and my girls have been asking (well... pretty annoyingly begging) to go outside and play.  I am not a hater of the outdoors by any means.  I love for them to be outdoors.  Here's where my dilemma is.  I don't want to be out there with them.  I have stuff to do!  I have grades that need to be entered, research reports that need grading, bathrooms that need to be cleaned, closets that could definitely use a cleaning, and a multitude of other things that I want to do on spring break.  And by multitude I mean, sit by myself, on my couch, watch a few tv shows, maybe a bowl of ice cream and fall asleep. Because sometimes... isn't that what spring break is all about if you can't be sitting on a beach somewhere?!?!?!?!?!
The problem I'm facing is.... fear.  Can I let them play outside without the fear of someone taking my sweet little angels?  Right now, I can't.  They like to play in the front of our house even though we have a giant backyard.  Our yard is not fenced in, which again adds to the fear.  How can I get past this?  I don't know what to do except pull up my chair and sit outside watching over them, making sure they look both ways when crossing the street, and monitoring the trampoline jumping (across the street at our neighbor's house) they just have to do even though I HATE IT! (another fear)
Our oldest has been getting bolder and asking to bike around the subdivision.  I'm trying to be ok with it.  She usually goes with a sister or friend, but I'm not going to lie, I'm scared to death!  The other day I heard the sirens and all I could think of was, what if.  I'm sure this feeling will never go away, because it'll turn into other things that I'm afraid of......  Going out with friends to the movies, going on a first date (hopefully when they are 25), and more.  Our oldest is 11, but our younger two are 9 and 6.  They want the freedom too, but aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!  How do you do it?  Any advice besides just trusting them and the plan that has been already written for us?  I'll take anything, especially if your advice involves lots of ice cream or Speedy Freezes after Lent. :)

You're the best!!!!!  Thanks for your help!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, do I remember this dilemma! You have to follow your gut on this one mom! As a mom who will soon have our family of four spread out over 3 states (each state ten hours from the other), I see lots of days ahead for lazing around. And believe me, by the time your days get here, you'll miss the decisions your struggling with now! In the mean time, maybe you can strike a deal with the kids, a mom day, then a kids day. I do remembering wondering when do I get to do NOTHING! I get it I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I am going to need to think before writing. xo

    For now...

    A verse from Joshua that I've prayed with my kids since my oldest started K...
    Be strong and courageous. Never terrified or discouraged for God is with you wherever you go.
    It brings peace to my heart to.
    I can't be everywhere they are but He is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Be strong and courageous. Never terrified or discouraged for God is with you wherever you go."

    May ___________ be strong and courageous. Never terrified or discouraged for You are with her wherever she goes.

    ReplyDelete