Sunday, March 12, 2017

Dear Younger Me

I was inspired today by the reference to Chris from Reading Amid the Chaos on the Two Writing Teachers blog. She posted yesterday about Love is..... and made a list of her sweet day.  Here's my take.

Dear Younger Me by Mercy Me is a song that often comes on the radio while I'm in the car and it gets me thinking.... what would I tell my younger self.  My younger self that was pre-hubby,pre- kids, pre-adult.  Here it goes.

Dear Younger Me.....
*Take the nap!  For real.
*Tell your parents you are searching for that deeper relationship with God not abandoning what they've instilled inside your heart
*Compliment your sisters so that you can grow closer together
*Read MORE
*Write more often.  Keep journals.
*Be still.
*Listen.
*Only date boys who truly respect your beliefs and are ok with your being a "good girl"
*A little bit of adventure is ok.  Don't always play it so safe.
*Tell people how you REALLY feel when they ask
*Start swing dancing earlier than 23, you LOVE it!
*Be kind
*Have faith
*Invest.  Not money.  But invest in things that matter to you.
*See the good in everyone because it's there. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder to see it.
*Stretch because girl you are paying for that now. :)
*EAT HEALTHIER!!!!!!!  You'll thank me later for this one.
*Love. Love your Lord first.  Love yourself, I mean really love yourself.  Love your family and friends.  Love all that you do. And only say I love you when the time and the one is right.

I'm sure this list could go on forever.  What would you tell your younger self?

13 comments:

  1. Love this. I would tell myself to make a "When you are 40" fund, so when I'm ready to really dream, some of them could really come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful piece of advice to your younger self. I think we all need a When I'm 40 day fund! Great idea!

      Delete
  2. Great advice. I love this format and the creativity! I might borrow this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paula, you are so sweet! Please do! I'd love to know what you'd tell your younger self.

      Delete
  3. This is inspiring! I may have to riff on a "Dear Younger Me" slice myself. You sound very grounded, like you listened to yourself way back when :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do!!! :) There are a few things I wish I would have known.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I wish I could tell myself not to play it so safe, too. The older and braver I get, the more I wish I had been a little more adventurous along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need to go on an adventure, Tani! What are you up for?

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of the Brad Paisley song. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laura! I'm not familiar with the Brad Paisley song I'll have to look that up.

      Delete
  6. Oh Maria, you are...
    so brave
    so daring
    so inspiring
    so wise
    so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loralee, You are so, so sweet dear friend! I'm trying to be all those things, but I fall short many days. I'm a work in progress, that's for sure!

      Delete
    2. He is our strength and guide. God is so good.

      Delete